|For Immediate Release:
February 26, 2013
30th Miami International Film Festival, Produced and Presented by Miami Dade College, Welcomes Stars Who Will Shine on the Red Carpet and Stages
Miami, FL — Miami International Film Festival (MIFF), produced and presented by Miami Dade College, is welcoming a stellar ensemble of film talent to its 30th edition not only lighting up the Festival’s screens, but also the red carpets and stages, this coming March 1 – 10.
Internationally acclaimed directors attending the 30th Miami International Film Festival include: Lasse Hallström, Fernando Trueba, Matteo Garrone, Pablo Trapero, Susan Seidelman, George Sluizer, Zhang Yan, Chris Sanders, Kirk de Micco, Jeanine Meerapfel, Jesper Ganslandt, Cristián Jiménez, Whit Stillman, Alejandro Landes, Julio Hernández Cordón, John Roberts, Carlos Sorín, Leon Ichaso, Orlando Jiménez-Leal, Billy Corben, Stefan Haupt, Michael McGowan, Rafa Lara and Gonzalo Tobal.
Actors expected to attend include: John Leguizamo, Carrie-Anne Moss, Eduardo Noriega, Oscar nominee Lena Olin, Oscar nominee James Cromwell, Griffin Dunne, Ariadna Gil, Zoë Kravitz, Douglas Smith, Andre Royo, Don McKellar, Martina Gusman, Gabriela de la Garza, Miguel Angel Muñoz. Jorge Perugorría, singer Cucu Diamantes, ballet superstar Carlos Acosta, Alfredo Castro, Karen Martinez, and Brady Corbet.
Other major talent scheduled to appear, the subjects of some of the Festival’s stellar documentaries, include legendary singer Darlene Love (Twenty Feet From Stardom) and three of Brazil’s most prestigious chefs, Frédéric Monnier (Brasserie Rosário, Rio De Janeiro), Erick Jacquin (La Brasserie, São Paulo), and Laurent Suaudeau(Escola Da Arte Culinaria, São Paulo), who will be cooking at the Festival’s Sunday March 3rd brunch at Juvia restaurant before the North American premiere of Why Did You Leave?
A complete list of talented guests expected to attend, by Festival category in order of appearance, include:
CINEDWNTWN GALAS presented by MIAMI DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
- Filmmakers: Morgan Neville, Analeine Cal y Mayor, Niv Fichman, Stacy Perskie, Javier Guillon, Lasse Hallström, George Sluizer, Florencia di Concilio, James Michael Taylor, Jokes Yanes, Aaron Salgado, Jorge Hernando, Jorge Perugorría, Andres Levin, Fernando Trueba, Cristina Huete, Maiken Baird and Michelle Major.
- Actors and Subjects: Darlene Love, Carrie-Anne Moss, Ariadna Gil, Zoë Kravitz, Douglas Smith, Sofia Sisniega, Gonzalo Vega, Milan Malisic, Don McKellar, Lena Olin, Alfredo Castro, Cucu Diamantes, Andres Dominguez, Beklys Galvez, David Lago, Oscar Torre, and J. Bishop.
KNIGHT IBERO-AMERICAN COMPETITION
- Filmmakers: Ana Piterbarg, Hernan Golfrid, Carlos Jaureguialzo, Carlos Sorín, , Caetano Gotardo, Julio Hernández Cordón, Rafa Lara, Ana Guevara, Ignacio Rey, and Gabriel Nesci.
- Actors: Eduardo Noriega, Cristián Vazquez.
KNIGHT DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION
- Filmmakers: Jesse Acevedo, Gabriela Cowperthwaite, Manuel Oteyza, Erica Khan, Judy Bart, Marta Cunningham, Stefan Haupt, Daniel Bellas, José Enrique Pardo, Sebastian Junger, Brad Bernstein, Rick Cikowski, Brandon Dumalo, and Dawn Porter.
- Subjects: Joe Greer, Tony Perez, Felix Sabates, Raoul Cantero, Don Jose Orlando Padron, Francisco “Pipin” Ferreras, and Cary Roque, Brandy Alexander, and Travis Williams.
LEXUS IBERO-AMERICA OPERA PRIMA COMPETITION
- Filmmakers: Analeine Cal y Mayor, Niv Fichman, Stacy Perskie, Javier Guillon, Bruno Bettati, Iván Mora, Daniel Aragão, Carlos Lechuga, Gonzalo Tobal, Alfredo Hueck, Javier Paillero, Mariana Urriza, and Guillermo Rocamora.
- Actors: Carrie-Anne Moss, Ariadna Gil, Zoë Kravitz, Douglas Smith, Sofia Sisniega, Gonzalo Vega, Milan Malisic, Don McKellar, Enrique Bastos.
SPOTLIGHT ON CHINA
4 WORLD DIRECTORS TO WATCH
- Filmmaker: Jesper Ganslandt, Jonas D’Adesky, and Mahdi Fleifel.
- Actor: Nicolas Vaporidis.
AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL
- Filmmakers: Laura Kleger, Justin Schwarz, Tom Gustafson, Cory Krueckeberg, and Susan Seidelman.
- Actor: Griffin Dunne.
CINEMA 360° presented by VIENDOMOVIES
- Filmmakers: Michael McGowan, Jeanine Meerapfel, John Roberts, Floris Florids, Jonathan Rae, Danny Mendoza, Jesse Quiñones, Ann Marie Goodwing, Harold Trompetero, Daniele Ciprì, Matteo Garrone, Nick Bonner, and Pablo Trapero.
- Actors: James Cromwell, Andre Royo, Luca Oriel, Carlos Acosta, John Leguizamo, Karen Martinez, Gabriela de la Garza , Miguel Angel Muñoz, and Martina Gusman.
- Filmmakers: Ilan Arboleda, James Cavello, Margarite Almeida, Nicolas Ibarguen, and Tom Donahue.
- Filmmakers: Carlos Gutierrez, Manolo Celí, Jonathan David Kane, Andres De Oliveira and David Fenster.
- Actors: Andres De Oliveira and Maxx Maulion.
- Filmmakers and Special Presenters: Manuel Arce, Leon Ichaso, and Orlando Jiménez-Leal, klezmer fiddler Alicia Svigals, pianist Marilyn Lerner.
- Actors: Brady Corbet, Gabriela de la Garza, and Miguel Angel Muñoz.
FILMS FOR FAMLY
- Filmmakers: Kirk de Micco and Chris Sanders.
- “Actors”: BELT
LEE BRIAN SCHRAGER’s CULINARY CINEMA
- Filmmakers: Eric Belhassen and Suzanne Wasserman.
- Chefs: Laurent Suaudeau, Erick Jacquin, and Frédéric Monnier.
- Filmmakers: Kerry Valderrama, A.D. Calvo, Bryan Ortiz, Bryan Ramirez, and Scott Kittredge.
- Actor: David Mazouz.
SEE VOIR VEO CANADA
- Filmmakers: Michael McGowan, Niv Fichman, and Javier Guillon.
- Actor: Douglas Smith, Don McKellar, and Patrice Dubois.
- Filmmakers: Jason Spire, JC Barros, Paulo Miranda, and Heather Burkey.
- Filmmaker: Luiz Bolognesi.
- Filmmakers: Micaela Solé, Fabien Pisani, Jessica Burman, Julia Zakia, Laura Ornelas, Fina Torres, and Neto Villalobos.
The following special guests are expected to attend Miami International Film Festival: Dan Hudak, David Edelstein, Claudia Puig, Leah Rozen, Kim Voynar, Billy Corben, Alfred Spellman, Cristián Jiménez, Rhonda Mitrani, Michael P. Brown, Phil Vigeant, Rhonda Vigeant, Kevin Sharpley, Dave Caserta, Judd Allison, Sandy Lighterman, Andy Schefter, Josh Braun, Antonio Falduto, and Juan Carlos Zaldivar. Additionally, as previously announced, jury members at Miami International Film Festival 2013 include: Juan Gordon, Whit Stillman, Anne Chaisson, Dan Guando, Michael Lumpkin, Alejandro Landes, Tivi Magnusson, Elba McAllister, Mar Abadin, Leslie Cohen, Rebeca Conget, and Eric Schnedecker.
# # #
Miami International Film Festival (MIFF), celebrating its 30th anniversary March 1 – 10, 2013, is considered the preeminent film festival for showcasing Ibero-American cinema in the U.S., and a major launch pad for all international and documentary cinema. The annual Festival, produced and presented by Miami Dade College, attracts more than 70,000 audience members and more than 400 filmmakers, producers, talent and industry professionals. It is the only major festival housed within a college or university. In the last five years, the Festival has screened films from more than 60 countries, including 300 World, International, North American, U.S. and East Coast Premieres. MIFF’s special focus on Ibero-American cinema has made the Festival a natural gateway for the discovery of new talent from this diverse territory. The Festival also offers unparalleled educational opportunities to film students and the community at large. Major sponsors of the 2013 Festival include Knight Foundation, Lexus and Miami-Dade County. For more, visit miamifilmfestival.com or call 305-237-MIFF (3456).
Miami Dade College has a long and rich history of involvement in the cultural arts, providing South Florida with a vast array of artistic and literary offerings including the Miami Book Fair International, the Center @ MDC, the Miami International Film Festival, the MDC Live Arts Performing Arts Series, the Cuban Cinema Series, the Miami Leadership Roundtable speakers’ series, numerous renowned campus art galleries and theaters, and the nationally recognized School of Entertainment and Design Technology. With an enrollment of more than 174,000 students, MDC is the largest institution of higher education in the country and is a national model for many of its programs. The college’s eight campuses and outreach centers offer more than 300 distinct degree programs including baccalaureate, associate in arts and science degrees and numerous career training certificates leading to in-demand jobs. MDC has served nearly 2,000,000 students since it opened its doors in 1960.
Knight Foundation supports transformational ideas that promote quality journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster the arts. The foundation believes that democracy thrives when people and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit KnightFoundation.org.
Since its debut in 1989, Lexus has earned a reputation for high-quality products and exemplary customer service from its 231 dealers. Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader, offering five hybrids that provide the best in innovative technology and first-class luxury. When it began, Lexus offered two models of vehicles. Now, more than 20 years later, Lexus offers variations of 10 vehicles, from the sporty CT 200h hybrid to the V10 supercar, the LFA. Visit www.vidalexus.com for more information.
Jessica Wade Pfeffer, Jessica Wade Inc., +1 305-804-8424, email@example.com
Janice Roland, Falco Ink, +1 212-445-7100, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon Treusch, Falco Ink, +1 212-445-7100, email@example.com
Juan Mendieta, +1 305-237-7611, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sue Arrowsmith +1 305-237-3710, email@example.com
Alejandro Rios +1 305-237-7482, firstname.lastname@example.org