Be a part of the action and volunteer with Miami International Film Festival! For 10 exciting days, March 6-15, 2015, MIFF will welcome film enthusiasts and professionals from around the world to celebrate the best of international cinema. As one of our grandest events to date, we’ll need a stellar team of volunteers to make the Festival a remarkable experience for all our guests. Get involved, meet new people, and discover the latest in international cinema.
Once you are signed up, you are able to claim shifts. We will post the full shift schedule in January 2015.
Volunteer Orientation is required, and takes place the week before the Festival, in late February. Official dates and times to be announced in January.
What we’re about
The Miami International Film Festival (MIFF) prides itself on being an iconic cultural event for Miami, and a growing festival on the world scene. With a small core team working year-round and for the extended season, we bring on about 500 dedicated volunteers to help activate all the moving parts of the Festival itself. We foster a culture of trust, strong work ethic, reliability, and quality. All team members are expected to uphold high standards of customer service and presentation value. (Sometimes this means answering the same questions many times over for bewildered or over-zealous festival guests and audience members, always with the same level of friendliness!) We welcome returning and brand-new volunteers alike. MIFF volunteers are people who love film, love community engagement, love special events, and love Miami. If you fit the bill, please apply!
Changes this year
We are delighted to continue with SHIFTBOARD, as our official volunteer scheduling system. We hope you found it easier to use this past year, and that it will continue to help improve your volunteer experience, and make signing up more streamlined and user friendly. You have total control over your schedule, and can add or drop shifts at your convenience online.
How it works
- You register online.
- We will review & approve your registration.
- Volunteer shifts are posted in late January. You will receive a notice that you can begin signing up for shifts. Please sign up for at least 3 shifts, or more if you like!
- You attend a required pre-festival training session in late February.
- You’ll receive an email & text reminder the day before your shifts. Then you show up to volunteer!
Benefits you’ll receive
- A cool commemorative MIFF volunteer T-shirt
- One voucher for every shift you work, redeemable for any available regular screening ticket during MIFF15
- Amazing experiences and new friends you’ll carry with you always!
Areas of volunteering
- Volunteer Captains With so many enthusiastic volunteers at MIFF theaters, Volunteer Captains take the lead in helping to orient their peers. Captains should have enough knowledge of the Festival to know a few answers off the top of their heads and quickly catch on to the culture of MIFF. Captains help spread the excitement to fellow volunteers, check in volunteers and give a brief training at the beginning of their shifts, covering the particulars of their venues. Captains act as assistants to Theater Managers and should be prepared to sign up for the most shifts.
- Ushers You can be on the front lines of the Festival! This is by far the job that requires the most helping hands. With six screening venues, we need many volunteers to become part of a cohesive team that helps scan tickets, hands out ballots, and helps people into the theater to find their seats. Ushers will report to Theater Managers, and are vital in ensuring the public experience in our venues is safe, welcoming, orderly, and as smooth as possible! People with smiling faces and strong customer service skills, who don’t mind being on their feet, are best in these positions.
- Line Captains Working closely with our Theater Managers, Line Captains will be on crowd-control duty, helping our excited patrons line up to enter the screening venues. Oftentimes, each screening will have a separate line for ticket holders, ticket buyers, MFS members, and Rush Line buyers. We need active, quick-moving volunteers that are natural leaders with loud, strong voices, to help communicate to the crowds which line they should be in, and what information they need to hear as they enter the theater. Many times it’s repeating the message that gets the job done! Line Captains will work mostly afternoons or evenings at any of our screening venues.
- Masterclass & Industry Greeters Aside from all the amazing films, the Festival also hosts some fantastic Masterclasses, Panels, & Industry Programs with industry professionals. Some are more hands-on, and some are more panel discussion style, but for all, we need outgoing volunteers to help our Industry team check badges at the door, meet and greet with the audience, encourage folks to sign up on our email list, and help people find seats. An awesome perk of this job is getting to sit in on the Masterclass for free!
- Press Office Warriors Headquartered at The Standard Spa, the Press Office is the place where all accredited press come to check in, pick up their credentials, order their tickets, request information, and conduct interviews. We need strong volunteers to help make this a smooth process for the press team! You will help with check-in, and be versed in all the rules and information working press folks need to receive. Press Office is open 9 am — 5 pm at The Standard.In the evenings, the Press Desk transitions to the Olympia Theater, and sets up to facilitate press activity for the red carpet events! Some limited press volunteer positions will be available for these evening assignments, and promise to be exciting! Backbone required, and ability to say “yes” and “no” with equal kindness!
- Sharp Shooters Try as we might, we can’t be everywhere! So we need extra sets of lenses helping us capture the action. Become a volunteer photographer for MIFF, and you can keep the credit on all your photos, get exposure, and help us cover ground. Send us your website or Flickr gallery, and if you’ve got the skills, we’ll provide you with a shooting schedule, and post your best resulting work as part of MIFF’s daily content and archives. Work closely with our social media & marketing team and really make an impact!
- Industry Librarians During the festival, MIFF builds a mini-library on the second floor of The Standard Spa, where out-of-town festival guests and members of VeoMiami Industry can go to check their email, surf the web, and watch MIFF films on individual computers (big, luxurious Apple screens!), that they might not catch during public screenings. We need volunteers to help work in the Library. It’s a quiet job, but you’ll keep an eye on everyone’s viewing, and help if they need assistance logging in or finding the film they want. Good for someone who prefers a quiet environment, sitting, and would enjoy reading or watching films in the less busy hours. Library hours are from 9 am – 5 pm daily.
- Member MastermindsThe Miami Film Society is Miami International Film Festival’s membership component. For the 2015 Festival, Miami Film Society is seeking volunteers to provide an exceptional experience at all screening venues and events. Volunteers will be asked to:
- Know the MIFF 2015 Program basics and how to find information by using the Ticket Guide
- Know the Miami Film Society membership basics and how to find information by using the MFS brochure
- Assist any MFS member who has questions
- Direct members to the Member/Sponsor entry line at each theater auditorium
- Open and close the Members/Sponsors-first line, at the direction of the Theater Manager
- Reserve MFS seating for Platinum and Visionary members in the location designated by the Theater Manager. Theater Managers will advise of the number of reserved seats at each screening.
- Protect reserved seats and allow access only to Platinum and/or Visionary Members and their guests.
- Escort Platinum and Visionary members, and their guests, to the reserved seats.
- Release unused reserved seats (and remove reserved signs) 10 minutes prior to the beginning of the screening, unless otherwise directed by Miami Film Society staff or Theater Managers.
- When asked, provide information to ticket holders about Miami Film Society and offer brochures to them.
We are pleased to introduce our new volunteer ambassador program: TEAM NO SLEEP! That’s right, you live and breathe Festival life so much, that sleep just doesn’t seem as important. This program offers participants a unique and exciting opportunity
to promote, cultivate, and engage with the Miami film and art communities throughout the year as well as support the Festival during our annual celebration of film.
WHO SHOULD BE PART OF IT?
You! Volunteers interested in participating in this program should be interested in refining their problem solving and leadership skills in addition to a willingness to engage the community at large on behalf of Miami International Film Festival.
WHAT TO YOU HAVE TO DO?
If you’re interested in being one of the best of the best volunteers in Miami, we are looking for a few amazing people who are able to demonstrate the following:
- Volunteer for 30 or more hours during prep, festival, and/or post-festival events
- Should be recognized as being of exceptional quality and value to your location and/or manager during the festival
- Must deliberately pursue, embrace and work towards a volunteer-centered culture at MIFF
- Be consistently organized and efficient in their selected roles
- Must be willing to coach and aid other volunteers as well as support Festival senior team
- Should be a good ambassador and model of the festival
WHAT DO YOU GET?
As a volunteer opportunity, TEAMNOSLEEP ambassadors will receive an extremely limited edition pin, early access to festival and event shifts to sign up in their preferred spots first, recognition from the Festival, and other perks throughout the festival and
HOW DO YOU GET IN?
Once you’re registered on shiftboard, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re interested. Once you complete or are well on your way to finishing 30 hours of Festival work, one of the Coordinators will set up a time for you to receive your honorary pin! Then you’re in the club, and on the list, and can look out for regular opportunities and fun stuff, from our Volunteer Coordinator Team!
If you have questions, email email@example.com